Lemon Soup (Nimmakaya Charu / Lemon Rasam)
Refreshing lemon soup, tempered with a spicy aftertaste.
Spice Blend –
- ½ cup Split Green gram cooked & mashed
- 2 tsp Lemon Juice
- 4 cups Water
- 2 Onion finely chopped
- ½ tbsp Ghee
• In a large pan, add in the water, split green gram, salt, pepper half the curry leaves and the turmeric. Bring to a boil then reduce to a medium flame – leave this cooking for 10-15 minutes.
• Meanwhile, in a small saucepan heat the ghee over a low-medium flame. Add in the remaining spices apart from the asafoetida. Stir constantly over the heat until the seeds begin to brown – about 3 minutes.
• Add in the onions, tomatoes and asafoetida – combine and sauté for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside until it has cooled slightly.
• Add the lemon juice and onion-tomato mixture into the split green pan and combine.
• Garnish with coriander leaves and serve warm.