Indian Vegetable Samosa
Spiced vegetables encased in a soft chewy pastry
Spice Blend –
Ingredients for the Pastry –
- 2 ¾ cups All-purpose Flour
- 30 ml Chicken Stock
- ¾ cup Vegetable Oil
- ½ cup Milk
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 Egg Yolk
Ingredients for the filling –
- 900 grams Potatoes peeled & boiled
- 2 Onions finely chopped
- ¾ cup Peas
- 2 tbsps’ Lemon Juice
- 1 tbsps’ Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Ginger-garlic Paste
• Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C, gas mark 6.
• Take your previously boiled potatoes and coarsely mash into a large bowl. Add the onion, peas, mint and cilantro. Set aside.
• In a large skillet, heat oil over a medium flame. Toast the cumin seeds, until aromatic – 3 minutes. Add in all the remaining spices, lemon juices, ginger-paste and the potato-onion mixture. Mix well to combine.
• In a large mixing bowl, add all the ingredients for the pastry. Mix by hand or tip into the food processor and blend until a smooth dough forms.
• Tip out the dough onto a lightly floured surface, rolling out into a sheet about ⅛ inches thick. With a cutter, cut the dough into circles, repeating until the dough is all used up.
• Spoon 1 tbsp of filling into the center of each circle, be careful not to over fill. Fold the pasty in half, into a semi-circle shape. Press the edges of the pasty together, pinching the edge of the pasty with a fork. Arrange onto a greased baking sheet, brushing with olive oil and bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.